Servings: 4 people
For the stir fry protein and vegetables:
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup avocado or other neutral tasting oil
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups fresh asparagus roughly chopped into half-inch pieces
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
For the stir fry sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce *use GF if needed
- 1/4 cup mirin *we prefer Eden Foods brand as it has no additives
- 1 tbsp. miso paste
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp. fish sauce (or vegetarian oyster sauce) *omit or use vegetarian oyster sauce if vegan
For the garnishes:
- 1/2 cup scallions finely chopped
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
For the fried tofu:
Wrap tofu block in paper towels and press for 30 minutes underneath a heavy cast iron skillet or Dutch oven. Then, unwrap and cut tofu into even, 1-inch blocks.
Place oil in a large, heavy-bottomed non-stick skillet or wok over medium heat.
Once the oil is shimmering, carefully add tofu and salt. You may need to wear oven mits to prevent oil splashing. Toss immediately to prevent sticking.
Fry tofu for about 3 minutes per side until evenly golden brown. Remove the tofu from the pan to a clean plate, and pour off about 3/4 of the remaining oil.
For the stir fry veggies:
Place the skillet back over medium-high heat and add mushrooms. Toss to prevent sticking. Let the mushrooms sauté for 5-6 minutes, tossing occasionally until mushrooms are beginning to brown and caramelize and their liquid is released and evaporates.
Add the asparagus and toss to combine with the mushrooms. Continue sautéing for about 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness of your asparagus shoots, just until they begin to soften slightly. Be sure not to overcook the asparagus as it is much better when left slightly crunchy.
Add the tofu back to the pan and toss to combine it with the veggies.
Add stir fry sauce and toss to coat.
Serving: 4people | Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1618mg | Potassium: 535mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 631IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 4mg